Skip to main content

Day 3 - Part I: Prelude to a Musical Overload

Day 3 - Prelude to a Musical Overload

Day 3 was supposed to be our ‘rest’ day: we’d take it easy, chill by the pool and not worry about getting a good spot for the guest shows, which we were planning to watch from the comfort of a sunlounger, cocktail in hand, looking at the ocean.
Not so.
Because of the change in schedule, the guest shows had been put forward to 8 PM, and we knew that once people conquered their spots, they would not give them up for Hanson. So we took our places on the sand.

Concerts on the beach: aren’t they a splendid idea? A soft surface for bare feet, the sand under your toes...a liberating experience where you can unleash your inner beach goddess. Right?
Wrong. By the time Hanson had started, the sand had been compacted down to the consistency of concrete: it was brutal. My knees hurt, my back hurt, everything hurt but there was no way I was giving up my third row spot.

*Slight digression - I’m told by friends who have children that after giving birth, your body releases some kind of mystery hormone that makes you forget the pain of labour so that you will, at some point, decide to put yourself through the ordeal again and continue to breed. I think the same happens with Hanson shows: you go through insane amounts of suffering to get a spot from which you can actually see what happens on stage, and as you wait, you curse the moment your mother put you on this earth, you curse your decision to like this band, you curse the people behind you, in front of you, and to your sides. You hate the world because you’re in pain and you forgot to take some ibuprofen as a preventative measure. Quite simply, you just want everything to be over. You think you’re seeing Jesus - the end must be near.  But then, the show starts and bang! all is forgotten. And the next day, as if you’d been bathing in a tub full of Rohypnol, you’re queuing up to do the same.
Some people call us masochists.
We call ourselves Hanson fans.

(I think both definitions are actually fairly accurate).



Comments

  1. Yes! I love the part about the pain yet how we continue to go back again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I love the part about the pain yet how we continue to go back again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've sat on hot and cold pavement for more hours than I can count for Hanson.... and I keep doing it, despite the pain of each previous one. I wear my Hanson Fan badge proudly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, you crack me up, Paola!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hanson Day 2019: a Recap

Registration To everyone’s surprise, registration opened before the event had even officially started, on Wednesday afternoon. I don’t know if that was planned, or if it was a last minute decision, but it was a good idea regardless. It’s obvious that more and more people are arriving to Tulsa earlier in the week, so it makes sense to try and register as many attendees as possible, as soon as possible. So by late afternoon on Wednesday I had my bracelet, my tickets and, most importantly, my EP. I’d lugged my trusted old MacBook Air and an external CD drive all the way across the Atlantic with the sole purpose of being able to listen to that EP straightaway so I headed back to my hotel room for a very exclusive Listening Party. ( Check out this blog again soon for a full review of the EP .) Storytellers Setlist This year’s Storytellers was effectively an acoustic show, centred around the Underneath album. It’s a golden combination for me, as I discovered the b

A BTTI 2017 Post-Mortem - Part 1: Dissecting the Shows

It was only going to be a ‘once in a lifetime’ experience: the solo sets had sold it to me, and besides, I’d never seen Hanson play with the full band. A one-off. Yes, it was only going to be a one-off. Well, that was 2015. On a grey and wet British New Year’s Day, I boarded a Jamaica-bound flight, ready to do it all again for the third time in 2017. Those who have read my blog posts from BTTI 2016 might remember that I wasn’t exactly awestruck by last year’s event: I’d found the shows lacking something, not to mention I'd been left seriously disappointed by Isaac’s solo set (for an Isaac ‘girl’, this is a serious matter). Aside from having fallen in love with Jamaica, I guess my mixed feelings about 2016 were part of the reason for wanting to go back: I had such fantastic memories of the 2015 shows in Cancun that I wanted another taste of that experience. I knew BTTI was more than a holiday with friends: it was a chance for me, as a European fan, to load up on Hanson conc

Is this In Real Life? A review of Hanson's 2019 Fan Club EP

I was in my hotel room in Tulsa when I first listened to the EP. I’d ferried my trusted seven year old MacBook Air all across the Atlantic, complete with an equally old and battered external CD drive, with the sole purpose of ripping that CD the moment it was in my hands and listening to it in religious contemplation. Compromise The first song in the EP, "Compromise" starts with a piano and guitar intro, and instantly puts me in a state of acoustic bliss that reaches its nirvana as Isaac’s voice comes on some twenty seconds later. Before you can scream ‘Isaac lead’,  Zac takes over vocals on the second verse,  with the final part going to Taylor. After my initial split second of disappointment, it made complete sense: it’s a song about compromise, shared among the three brothers and layered with their trademark harmonies in between each verse. What is that if not a perfect example of musical compromise? Thematically, my first thought was that the lyr