Skip to main content

Conclusion (Heroin, be the death of me)




Without a doubt, Jamaica 2016 wins hands down over Mexico 2015: everything has been better - the location, the resort, the staff, the way things ran seamlessly - with the exception of the weather on day 2. Numbers were lower and it showed, in a good way: you don’t want to spend thousands of dollars to be packed like sardines. What perhaps made it less special to me was the fact that I’d done it before, and I already knew what to expect. I guess it’s inevitable and not Hanson’s fault, or Island Gigs’.

My friends and I always joke that Hanson is a cult, and as devoted cult sisters, we feel compelled to give most of our income to the band. We’re joking, but only just: you can see how tempting it becomes to stretch your finances to the limit, year after year, so that you can be with your friends on a tropical island, watching Zac Hanson show you how to make bracelets that you’ll never wear, bingeing on music for four unforgettable days. That’s why most BTTI attendees are alumni - just like hard drugs, it’s a lot harder to say no to this trip once you’ve tried it, especially when everybody else is doing it.

Something tells me that if I don’t take a step back now, I’ll end up getting sucked into a vortex from which I may never re-emerge. Is that what I really want? To spend every year paying for my next Hanson holiday? Am I insane? Do I want to be that kind of person? What is wrong with me?

So many questions. And I guess that I just don’t know.



I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm goin' to try for the kingdom if I can
'Cause it makes me feel like I'm a man
When I put a spike into my vein
Then I tell you things aren't quite the same
When I'm rushing on my run
And I feel just like Jesus' son
And I guess I just don't know
And I guess that I just don't know.

The Velvet Underground, "Heroin"



Comments

  1. This is the exact reason I haven't gone yet. I'm afraid if I do...I'll want to go every year. That's reasonable for MOE when I can drive and have friends to stay with. But for a tropical vacation? The temptation is too great. One of these years I'll make it happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we can orchestrate to both be there that year!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I applaud you if you're able to say no to returning next year, and I hope you make a decision you'll be happy with. It looks like for the foreseeable future anyway, that you can always skip a year and choose to go back to the next one. I knew I was doomed the minute they announced a second "annual" BTTI while we were still at the first one.

    "Are Hanson trying to play safe to the crowd (but why? we’re all fan club members) or - worse - is it because the old and trusted classics need little or no rehearsing? [opinions are welcome in the comments section]"

    I suspect this had something to do with the Covers show, too, since those were all fresh in their minds. I'm not saying they should leave all of the "usuals" and singles at home, but it did feel like a lot. I'm sure it's a tough call for them because plenty of the singles are the ones that people first fell in love with, and for every person groaning when they play "Where's the Love" again, there's someone who has never seen it live and is left disappointed when they don't play it.

    We're also on the same page about Isaac's set and Great Divide and Tonight (which is my favorite song I was referring to in my post), and I love the childbirth analogy.

    I'm glad you went and had a good time and that we were both able to have something good to look forward to and step away from the real world for a bit. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hanson Day 2019: a Recap

Registration To everyone’s surprise, registration opened before the event had even officially started, on Wednesday afternoon. I don’t know if that was planned, or if it was a last minute decision, but it was a good idea regardless. It’s obvious that more and more people are arriving to Tulsa earlier in the week, so it makes sense to try and register as many attendees as possible, as soon as possible. So by late afternoon on Wednesday I had my bracelet, my tickets and, most importantly, my EP. I’d lugged my trusted old MacBook Air and an external CD drive all the way across the Atlantic with the sole purpose of being able to listen to that EP straightaway so I headed back to my hotel room for a very exclusive Listening Party. ( Check out this blog again soon for a full review of the EP .) Storytellers Setlist This year’s Storytellers was effectively an acoustic show, centred around the Underneath album. It’s a golden combination for me, as I discovered the b

A BTTI 2017 Post-Mortem - Part 1: Dissecting the Shows

It was only going to be a ‘once in a lifetime’ experience: the solo sets had sold it to me, and besides, I’d never seen Hanson play with the full band. A one-off. Yes, it was only going to be a one-off. Well, that was 2015. On a grey and wet British New Year’s Day, I boarded a Jamaica-bound flight, ready to do it all again for the third time in 2017. Those who have read my blog posts from BTTI 2016 might remember that I wasn’t exactly awestruck by last year’s event: I’d found the shows lacking something, not to mention I'd been left seriously disappointed by Isaac’s solo set (for an Isaac ‘girl’, this is a serious matter). Aside from having fallen in love with Jamaica, I guess my mixed feelings about 2016 were part of the reason for wanting to go back: I had such fantastic memories of the 2015 shows in Cancun that I wanted another taste of that experience. I knew BTTI was more than a holiday with friends: it was a chance for me, as a European fan, to load up on Hanson conc

Is this In Real Life? A review of Hanson's 2019 Fan Club EP

I was in my hotel room in Tulsa when I first listened to the EP. I’d ferried my trusted seven year old MacBook Air all across the Atlantic, complete with an equally old and battered external CD drive, with the sole purpose of ripping that CD the moment it was in my hands and listening to it in religious contemplation. Compromise The first song in the EP, "Compromise" starts with a piano and guitar intro, and instantly puts me in a state of acoustic bliss that reaches its nirvana as Isaac’s voice comes on some twenty seconds later. Before you can scream ‘Isaac lead’,  Zac takes over vocals on the second verse,  with the final part going to Taylor. After my initial split second of disappointment, it made complete sense: it’s a song about compromise, shared among the three brothers and layered with their trademark harmonies in between each verse. What is that if not a perfect example of musical compromise? Thematically, my first thought was that the lyr