Skip to main content

BTTI 2019 Part I : Rocking All Night with Hanson



The first BTTI show always kicks off at 10:00 PM to allow enough time for those who fly in on the same day. I like late shows, but that night I was quite tired, after a day of sheltering from the rain under a gazebo. It had been raining relentlessly until early evening so my fingers had pruned up, and my hair was a frizzy mess. But it was a Rock All Night themed show, so I put on a black dress, tried to summon some energy from my soggy, pruned-up self and headed for the main beach.



Hanson opened the show with an acapella version of “Back to the Island”, followed by “Fired Up” , which, with its instantly recognisable guitar intro, is a somewhat predictable but very fitting start to a concert with a rockier slant. “I’ve Got Soul” - followed, as it usually does on most Hanson setlists. So far, so rock’n’roll, for Hanson’s standards, anyway: let’s face it, they’re not exactly heavy. Another recognisable guitar riff introduced the I’ll-be-damned-if-that’s-not-autobiographical “Heartbreaker” - a Taylor lead from the 2012’s EP “No Sleep for Banditos” and a song I always enjoy hearing live way more than on the recording, partly because of the guitar solo that gives Isaac an opportunity to show off. Next, it was Zac’s turn to sing lead next with “And I Waited” - another staple of Hanson’s rockier repertoire, although not a favourite of mine, followed by “You Never Know”.

Things took a surprising turn with “This Time Around”: the Hanson classic is part of the String Theory setlist, so I wasn’t expecting to hear it. Don’t get me wrong: I like that song a lot, but why use up a spot for something that would feature in tomorrow’s show? Afterwards, we were back to the Anthem-era with “Get The Girl Back” - a song whose only saving grace is that grapevine routine Taylor and Isaac often do onstage mid-song. When I heard “Thinking of You” next I thought, ‘please play something I actually want to hear?’.

Mercifully, the setlist gods listened to my prayers, and we got “Hand in Hand”, a classic Isaac lead that is also affectionately referred to by fans as “Segabuy”. My rating for a live performance of “Hand in Hand” is firmly based on the state of Isaac’s hair: if his usually slicked-back locks collapse on his face in a rebellious corkscrew curl, it’s a 10/10. Yes, I demand total hair destruction for “Segabuy”. Unfortunately, whatever hair spray Isaac used that night before he took to the stage was just too strong: the locks stayed put and as a result, my rating was a measly 7/10.


The Night the Hair Stayed Put

When “Look At You” followed, my suspicions were confirmed: that was a setlist aimed squarely at first timers. I have no hard data to prove it, but I get a feeling that a lot of new islanders are also new members, who got back into Hanson through the MOE album and tour of 2017 and who are mostly familiar with the old material. That’s my theory anyway: it makes sense, and I’m sticking to it.

“Great Divide” came to the rescue: it’s a song that always showcases Hanson at their very best, with its passionate message and uplifting vibe. I couldn’t say the same for ‘Hey’, whose inclusion in this particular setlist made zero sense to me. I found “Make it Out Alive” was another peculiar choice because none of the Shout it Out songs are very rock’n’roll (incidentally, I keep voting for SIO as a BTTI theme, with zero chances).



Another setlist spot was taken by a String Theory track - the thief in question being “Where’s the Love”. I was not impressed: surely even first timers would have been happy to hear the orchestral version of the same song on the following day? That’s when Hanson Logic defeats me. And yes, I did the finger dance anyway because there are times in every Hanson fan’s life when principles need to be put aside for the greater good, and that was one of such times.

But things weren’t getting any better for me with “Tearing it Down” and even less so with “Man from Milwaukee”: rock all night, what? I was relieved to hear “Lost Without Each Other” - one of my favourite tracks from Underneath - not exactly rock but it would do. “A Minute Without You” has a great guitar riff so it got a pass (and it’s an Isaac lead), only to be followed by “Voice in the Chorus” - another one from my Least Favourite Top 10. I was beginning to despair when I heard the opening chords of “The Ugly Truth” - finally we were rocking again. Then Hanson cranked it up few notches with “Rollercoaster Love”, a great choice, despite a couple of moments when Taylor didn’t look too certain about the lyrics. The show had just picked up when - alas - it was over. Or not quite, because, of course, Hanson had an encore for us: what better way to end a Rock All Night set  than with “In the City”? Do you love MAY? Hell yes.

There was no doubt that the first show of BTTI 2019 had ended on a high note, and I was grateful to the Universe and all the weather-connected gods that we’d had a show on the beach rather than in the dreaded “Greenhouse”. But it certainly wasn’t the best opening show I’d experienced in five years of BTTI, and not only due to song choices. There were some technical problems at the beginning, and I couldn’t hear Taylor’s voice at all during the first part of “Fired Up”, to the point that I’d wondered why he was letting fans sing in his place. It was an okay show, and if I’m being critical, it’s because, well, that’s the whole point of a review: you tell the truth, or at least, your truth. But trust me when I say that, despite the not-very-rock setlist, seeing a Hanson show on a Jamaican beach is still a pretty damn special experience, and that night, I wouldn’t have swapped that beach for anywhere else in the world.




Click here for Part III: Members Only
Click here for Part IV: The Solo Sets
Click here for Part V: An Executive Summary

Comments

  1. Did I write this? I think I wrote this. Except I love "And I Waited", and for once I did not do the finger thing during "Where's The Love". Instead, I said "screw it" (yes, actually said it out loud) and took the opportunity to get a much-needed gin and tonic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a much wiser woman than I am, Holly! I think I go on auto pilot with that song XD
      But I'm glad our views matched, overall!

      Delete
  2. Hey, is a rock song to me, and really Hanson’s rock is not ever hard.
    More Isaac leads is always my mantra.
    Not happy with songs that were happening in String Theory being in my rock night.
    You bag on several songs I really like. How are we friends?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because you love me and because I make you tea in the morning.

      Delete
  3. I didn't go to BTTI this year and can honestly say I've reached a point where I'm more interested in your commentary than what Hanson played :x BUT had I been there...I'm a sucker for anything off SIO, so I wouldn't have shared your qualms with those selections. I would have been excited to hear rarer cuts like Tearing it Down, Ugly Truth and Great Divide, and probably would have gone for refills during Heartbreaker and Hey.

    Also, I feel like this theme was a missed opportunity to throw in a cover song or two. "Rock All Night" gets picked every year, and they play a lot of the same songs every time. They could have mixed it up and dusted off I Believe in a Thing Called Love, Whole Lotta Love, or even a super throwback cover like Piece of my Heart or Magic Carpet Ride and given fans a little more of a surprise. I agree that Thinking of You is a head-scratcher (maybe someone begged for it), and it does feel lazy that they repeated String Theory songs. I wonder if maybe they intended for people to compare/contrast hearing TTA and Where's the Love in their different "forms?" But honestly the String Theory versions aren't far enough off from the originals in terms of their sound for that to be a terribly interesting exercise. Still, it sounds like it was a high energy set, and I'm sure everybody had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Proud to have become your substitute for Hanson!
      I think the set was trying to please alumni and newbies. It probably pleased most people but I'm fussy, and some songs just didn't seem to fit for me. And I agree with you 100% that the ST versions of those songs aren't THAT different from the original to justify playing them twice.

      Delete
    2. And not only were they ST songs - but SINGLES at that. I'd have been less annoyed with a repeat from ST that wasn't a single, I think.

      Delete
    3. Very good point, actually!

      Delete
  4. You nailed it ! Just as soon as we got rocking it was over. When the Ulgy truth started I was ecstatic! (As you know it’s one of my all time favs live) but you said it the set list totally catered to newer fans. It was like they tried to be well rounded in their selections but really feel short. It was my fav night due to the sheer joy of being there and not as many tech issues as the last night which was a total ish show. They could have done so much more it wouldn’t kill them to add a couple of their covers.
    We were all excited to be there and in the moment that I think at least for me missed a lot of things that you didn’t.i appreciate your attention to detail ! Cant wait to read the next installment !! Xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was still a fun night, without a doubt. I just expected.... more. Hanson need to start raising the bar for BTTI setlists.

      Delete
  5. Teton's Teton - Titanium Tent stove
    Teton's Teton - titanium razor Titanium camillus titanium knife Tent stove titanium belt buckle offers dental implants a premium, high-performance heating experience with an attractive heat tolerance for high-potency hot sauces.Teton Teton is equipped titanium block with

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hanson Day 2019: a Recap

Registration To everyone’s surprise, registration opened before the event had even officially started, on Wednesday afternoon. I don’t know if that was planned, or if it was a last minute decision, but it was a good idea regardless. It’s obvious that more and more people are arriving to Tulsa earlier in the week, so it makes sense to try and register as many attendees as possible, as soon as possible. So by late afternoon on Wednesday I had my bracelet, my tickets and, most importantly, my EP. I’d lugged my trusted old MacBook Air and an external CD drive all the way across the Atlantic with the sole purpose of being able to listen to that EP straightaway so I headed back to my hotel room for a very exclusive Listening Party. ( Check out this blog again soon for a full review of the EP .) Storytellers Setlist This year’s Storytellers was effectively an acoustic show, centred around the Underneath album. It’s a golden combination for me, as I discovered the b

A BTTI 2017 Post-Mortem - Part 1: Dissecting the Shows

It was only going to be a ‘once in a lifetime’ experience: the solo sets had sold it to me, and besides, I’d never seen Hanson play with the full band. A one-off. Yes, it was only going to be a one-off. Well, that was 2015. On a grey and wet British New Year’s Day, I boarded a Jamaica-bound flight, ready to do it all again for the third time in 2017. Those who have read my blog posts from BTTI 2016 might remember that I wasn’t exactly awestruck by last year’s event: I’d found the shows lacking something, not to mention I'd been left seriously disappointed by Isaac’s solo set (for an Isaac ‘girl’, this is a serious matter). Aside from having fallen in love with Jamaica, I guess my mixed feelings about 2016 were part of the reason for wanting to go back: I had such fantastic memories of the 2015 shows in Cancun that I wanted another taste of that experience. I knew BTTI was more than a holiday with friends: it was a chance for me, as a European fan, to load up on Hanson conc

Is this In Real Life? A review of Hanson's 2019 Fan Club EP

I was in my hotel room in Tulsa when I first listened to the EP. I’d ferried my trusted seven year old MacBook Air all across the Atlantic, complete with an equally old and battered external CD drive, with the sole purpose of ripping that CD the moment it was in my hands and listening to it in religious contemplation. Compromise The first song in the EP, "Compromise" starts with a piano and guitar intro, and instantly puts me in a state of acoustic bliss that reaches its nirvana as Isaac’s voice comes on some twenty seconds later. Before you can scream ‘Isaac lead’,  Zac takes over vocals on the second verse,  with the final part going to Taylor. After my initial split second of disappointment, it made complete sense: it’s a song about compromise, shared among the three brothers and layered with their trademark harmonies in between each verse. What is that if not a perfect example of musical compromise? Thematically, my first thought was that the lyr