Skip to main content

BTTI 2024: The Shows

The Shows






Welcome Show

The first show opened, as it is tradition now, with ‘Back to the Island’ and carried on with a really fun mix of covers and Hanson songs. Highlights among the covers for me were ‘Island in the Sun’ by Weezer, a Bob Marley ‘Three Little Birds/Stir it Up’ medley and an unexpected appearance of ‘Kokomo’ - finally a Beach Boys cover!  The rest was a mix of Hanson classics and oldies, and although I could live perfectly happily forever without watching another performance of ‘Where’s the Love’, old gems like ‘Been There Before’ and ‘Can’t Stop’ amply made up for it. The latter, in particular, has a special place in my heart because it was the opener at the first show in Cancun in 2015. Still a relatively new fan back then, with only the Anthem Tour (2013) behind me, I have this really vivid memory of being there for the first time, my heart suddenly sounding like a pneumatic drill in my ribcage as the guys walked on stage.

Every single time you stop my heart /You're the thing that brings me back…

Second Show

The show opened with ‘Dream Girl’, one of those ‘rare’ songs that fans always hope to hear live. A quick check of Hansonstage shows that this ‘Underneath’ era-song has only been performed live 15 times, including this year and Taylor’s solo set at BTTI 2020. I was there for 2/15 - not bad for fan/geek statistics.

‘Dream Girl’ is one of those songs of which I really like the music, with its U2-like guitar crescendo. I wish the lyrics were updated, as I’m not a teenage boy in love with some ethereal, princess-like creature, and I feel a bit ridiculous singing along to it but it was still really cool to hear it. 

The setlist carried on with some rarely played songs and deep cuts, of which my favourite were ‘Somebody That Wants to Love You’ - a song that instantly takes me to Hanson Day 2016, which, again, was my first. Finally we got a full band performance of “Grace Unknown”, which Isaac could not remember playing at previous BTTIs (yes, Isaac, you did, twice, but let’s not count the first time because, let’s not).

A rendition of ‘Broken Angel’ featuring vocals by Isaac and Taylor with Zac at the piano was beautiful, and so was ‘World Goes Around’ - one of Zac’s most underrated gems from the RGB album. The setlist then took a turn for the more familiar, with BTTI classics like “Dance Like You Don’t Care” - at which point I went to find some friends at the back and gatecrashed their party because sometimes, as that Whitney song goes, you just wanna dance with somebody.

Final Show

We found out when Hanson came on stage that the show was going to be a ‘Rock all Night’ theme. ‘Rock’ in Hanson terms  is a relative concept and their opening song, ‘Dancing in the Wind’ is not exactly going to make you headbang, but I was very glad to hear it live again (Hansonstage says I’ve only heard it once, at Hanson Day 2019). Other highlights for me were ‘Oh La La’ (another from the Loud/Play golden era) and ‘Rollercoaster Love’ because the ‘Sound of Light’ EP is still my absolute favourite. The entire set was on point though, with ‘Cold As Ice’ performed like Isaac did during the RBG tour, complete with introducing the band and a hilarious jump scare that caught the guitar tech by surprise. The last three songs were performed with AMMM - and although their combined energy is not what I call Hanson energy, most people loved it and the night ended on a high note.


The Solo Sets

Zac

Zac always goes first and this year was no exception. Highlights for me were ‘The Weight of Emotions’, ‘Good Days’ - which apparently he wrote during the pandemic, and my absolute favourite Zac song of recent years, ‘That Place Where You Come From’ from last year’s members EP ‘Ambient’. What’s the opposite of highlights? Whatever you call it, I literally zoned out during ‘Juliet’ and as the next song was already under way, I had to ask my friend to fill me in because I had NO recollection of hearing it. I might have been abducted by aliens for the whole duration of the song, or maybe I have by now heard it so many times that my brain shuts down and takes me to a better place where ‘Angel of Death’ counteracts the effect of yet another ‘Juliet hands wave’ on my poor, old, jaded soul.

The antidote:




Isaac 

Despite the earlier and extremely unpopular time of 4 PM for the solo sets, both Isaac and Taylor were late. Isaac was over half an hour late, by which point I was truly wilting under the relentless Jamaican sun. Once Isaac got on stage and opened with ‘Ordinary Words’, however, I was quick to forgive him: damn, that man can be charming. A guitar string snapped within seconds of starting the song, and instead of getting annoyed or flustered, he laughed it off in such an endearing way that I could feel my credit card sprout wings again. 

The main highlight for me was ‘Mother of Exiles’ - a song co-written with Stephen Kellogg and news of which I had been chasing since its first mention by SK on Twitter in 2021. Later that year, during a virtual M&G with SK himself, I asked him if we were going to hear that song any time soon. ‘I hope so’, SK said. During the 2022 RGB tour I was Fanclub Reporter, so I asked Isaac, who explained that the song was a Covid-era song, and wasn’t quite ready yet. Fast forward to another year to the Busted/Hanson tour and during a late night ‘waiting by the buses’ chat in Glasgow, Isaac suddenly chose to serenade us with a few bars from that very song. I am embarrassed to admit that I squealed with excitement, which in turn reminded Isaac of the conversation we’d had the year before. 

So now you’ll understand why, when I finally got to hear the song in full, despite the blinding sun and a newly found ability to sweat from one's internal organs, the music nerd in me was finally able to find some peace. 

‘Mother of Exiles’? Check.

(Video of 'Mother of Exiles' credit to Jill Marsillett)



Taylor

I had a better spot for Taylor’s set, i.e not in direct sunlight, which meant that I was able to enjoy it more instead of worrying about dropping dead from heat exhaustion.

The appearances of an oldie - ‘Wasting Time’ and ‘I am probably never going to play this live’ - ‘Semi Hollow’ will no doubt be most people’s highlights for this set, but for me, it was all about the performance. Taylor introduced ‘With You In Your Dreams’ dedicating it to a friend who had recently lost a child, which made it all the more poignant as many of us knew who he was referring to. By the end of the song, I don’t think there was a single dry eye in the audience. Near the end of the set, he got us to sing along to the subtle chorus of ‘We Belong Together’ - it was beautiful, although it’s a shame that a lot of people in the audience didn’t seem to know the song. The set closed with ‘Every Word I Say’, which is always a winner in my book as it was one of my ‘gateway’ songs to Hanson, shared with me by a friend keen on showing me that there was more to the band than ‘Mmmbop’. I think it’s fair to say that she did a good job.



Click here for Part 3









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hanson Day 2019: a Recap

Registration To everyone’s surprise, registration opened before the event had even officially started, on Wednesday afternoon. I don’t know if that was planned, or if it was a last minute decision, but it was a good idea regardless. It’s obvious that more and more people are arriving to Tulsa earlier in the week, so it makes sense to try and register as many attendees as possible, as soon as possible. So by late afternoon on Wednesday I had my bracelet, my tickets and, most importantly, my EP. I’d lugged my trusted old MacBook Air and an external CD drive all the way across the Atlantic with the sole purpose of being able to listen to that EP straightaway so I headed back to my hotel room for a very exclusive Listening Party. ( Check out this blog again soon for a full review of the EP .) Storytellers Setlist This year’s Storytellers was effectively an acoustic show, centred around the Underneath album. It’s a golden combination for me, as I discovered the b

A BTTI 2017 Post-Mortem - Part 1: Dissecting the Shows

It was only going to be a ‘once in a lifetime’ experience: the solo sets had sold it to me, and besides, I’d never seen Hanson play with the full band. A one-off. Yes, it was only going to be a one-off. Well, that was 2015. On a grey and wet British New Year’s Day, I boarded a Jamaica-bound flight, ready to do it all again for the third time in 2017. Those who have read my blog posts from BTTI 2016 might remember that I wasn’t exactly awestruck by last year’s event: I’d found the shows lacking something, not to mention I'd been left seriously disappointed by Isaac’s solo set (for an Isaac ‘girl’, this is a serious matter). Aside from having fallen in love with Jamaica, I guess my mixed feelings about 2016 were part of the reason for wanting to go back: I had such fantastic memories of the 2015 shows in Cancun that I wanted another taste of that experience. I knew BTTI was more than a holiday with friends: it was a chance for me, as a European fan, to load up on Hanson conc

Is this In Real Life? A review of Hanson's 2019 Fan Club EP

I was in my hotel room in Tulsa when I first listened to the EP. I’d ferried my trusted seven year old MacBook Air all across the Atlantic, complete with an equally old and battered external CD drive, with the sole purpose of ripping that CD the moment it was in my hands and listening to it in religious contemplation. Compromise The first song in the EP, "Compromise" starts with a piano and guitar intro, and instantly puts me in a state of acoustic bliss that reaches its nirvana as Isaac’s voice comes on some twenty seconds later. Before you can scream ‘Isaac lead’,  Zac takes over vocals on the second verse,  with the final part going to Taylor. After my initial split second of disappointment, it made complete sense: it’s a song about compromise, shared among the three brothers and layered with their trademark harmonies in between each verse. What is that if not a perfect example of musical compromise? Thematically, my first thought was that the lyr